[Air-l] habermas on the internet

Thomas Koenig T.Koenig at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 18:09:44 PST 2006

Maria Bakardjieva wrote:
> Thank you Jeremy and Christian for bringing this very interesting piece of
> information to the attention of AoIRs. I wonder if any of our
> German-speaking colleagues could translate the few sections of the speech
> dealing with the Internet and post them to the list. My German is too rusty
> and it would take me hours to make sense of the text on my own.

FWIW, I translated the following two paragraphs, but remember, I am not
a professional translator and Habermas is not Thomas Mann:

"The usage of the Internet proliferated and expanded communicative
networks at the same time. Therefore the Internet does have a subversive
effect onto the rigidities (structures) of the public sphere. At the
same time, the horizontal and deformalized (increasingly more informal)
network of communications weakens the traditional public spheres. The
latter used to focus within political communities the attention of an
anonymous and fragmented public in a way that enabled citizens to
critically evaluate the same filtered topics at the same time [I am not
kidding you here, I even left out an obscure causal relationship
"naemlich"]. The desirable increase in egalitarism that the Internet
delivered is paid for with a decentralization of the admission of
unedited contributions to the discourse. In this medium, intellectuals
lose the power to focus the discourse."

In plain English: "The rise of the Internet has led to more and easier
access to the public sphere. Increased access has led to difficulities
to focus public debates, a prerequisite for rational deliberation."

Auf Deutsch: "Oeffentlichkeitsdiskurse sind egalitaerer, aber dafuer
weniger fokussiert-sachlich geworden."

"The idea that the electronic [sic] revolution destroys the stage for
intellectuals is premature, though. Take TV, which basically operates
within the public spheres f nation states: It only expanded the stage of
the print media and literature. At the same time, TV changed the nature
of the stage: It needs to visualize, what it wants to say, and it
accelerated the iconic turn, the shift from words to images. This
relative deprecation the wights between the two functions have also
shifted in the public sphere."

In plain English: "Intellectuals still occupy a crucial role in public
discourse, they just have to adapt to the new playing field. Take, for
example, TV: It made visual communication and its discourse logic more
important and devalued speech."

HTH, maybe somebody else want to take over.

--
thomas koenig
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/mmethods/staff/thomas/index.html