[Air-l] teens and myspace

Michela Drusian michela.drusian at unipd.it
Thu Mar 2 07:25:09 PST 2006

Hi all,

I'm following this very interesting thread and I am enthusiastic of some
issues that have been raised. I did my PhD on adolescents and their
experience of chatlines and when I was in Chicago last year I had the
impression that the Italian context was very far from the international one
because here there is stigmatization which derives from a diffused sense of
alarm towards CMC.  Obviously, who does not use CMC is more likely to feel
distant from it, whereas those who know CMC have a more relaxed attitude,
even among young people. During my interviews I had a sensation which still
goes around my head: how do young people relate CMC and cultural capital? I
try to be as clear as possible: Cultural capital is given -also- by the
number and the quality of relationships you have in your social context,
which you derive from your family, from school, from work etc.  The
sensation I had  during my interviews was that your cultural capital could
not be influenced by online relationships, and if you have a lot of online
relationships, then your cultural capital could even be poorer. In other
words, if you belong to higher stratification you are not expected to have
online relationships (because you do not need to, or because you cultural
capital would be in some ways affected by this?) and viceversa.  This is
clearly connected with stigmatization which is connected to general alarm
towards CMC, which depends on the fact of being a daily practice. As long
as CMC becomes daily, then social alarms will turn to other technological
innovations involving very basic social practises as communication.

Ciao,
michela

P.S. thank you Barry for the plea against jargon, my English is book-based
and sometimes I miss something, although I can take the reading of this
list as an exercise!

Michela Drusian, PhD

Dipartimento di Sociologia
Via Cesarotti, 10