[Air-l] Virtual China research

Lyn Jeffery LJeffery at iftf.org
Thu Mar 2 22:23:38 PST 2006

Hello --

My name is Lyn Jeffery. I'm a cultural anthropologist working for a small
nonprofit technology forecasting group in Palo Alto, California, called the
Institute for the Future (www.iftf.org).

I've spent most of the last 20 years living in, working on, and thinking
about mainland China.  My dissertation research was on the emergence of
Chinese capitalism, and I've also published in the area of urban
anthropology of China. I speak and read Chinese.

This year at IFTF I am leading a project on Virtual China -- trying to
broadly map out what's happening in virtual Chinese environments, how
Internet practices are changing daily life in China, and how it matters. The
research will be ethnographic in nature, across virtual and physical spaces,
and in China and the Silicon Valley.  It will be, as all our work at IFTF
is, somewhere in between academia and business.

I look forward to learning from the list, to immersing myself of the
literature on Internet research methods and theory, and to perhaps meeting
some of you along the way.

If you're interested further, please see our blog at
http://www.virtual-china.org/

Best,
Lyn Jeffery

________________________
Lyn Jeffery, Ph.D.
Research Director
Institute for the Future
www.iftf.org
AIM: LynatIFTF
Skype: LynJeffery
phone: 650-233-9577

124 University Ave. 2/F, Palo Alto, CA  94301
main phone: 650-854-6322
fax: 650-854-7850