[Air-l] Teens Online

Andrea Kavanaugh kavan at vt.edu
Wed Mar 8 06:12:33 PST 2006

Very interesting, Reid.  Thanks. I assume that the bullet "they spend
more time chatting online than in f2f activities" means "with the
same individual."  (Otherwise, they're not counting the six or more
hours in school as f2f activity.)
As for the "non-connected" population we found that in our area
(rural Virginia surrounding the university town of Blacksburg) the
non-connected population (only about 12%) is actually engaged in
indirect (or second hand) use.  That is, they have a friend or
relative go online to find information for them, or to send an email
to someone else. While the proportion of such a "non-connected"
population might be higher in another location (for the time being),
this is an interesting grey area to explore in other communities.

I would be happy to send you a copy of the paper if you are interested:
Dunlap, D., W. Schafer, J.M. Carroll and D.D. Reese. 2003. Delving
deeper into access: Marginal Internet usage in a local community.
Paper presented at HOIT (Home Oriented Informatics and Telematics),
Irvine, CA.