[Air-l] the colorado survey

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 8 13:39:38 PST 2006

It sounds like an interesting survey.  Adding to what Barry mentioned, I'm
wondering what exactly 'insignificant gender differences' are (although, if
All respondents answered the same, maybe that's not a tremendously useful
variable), and whether ethnicity or socioeconomic class or similar variables
were considered in the sample.

Do we know when the results will be made public?

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw
Dept of Linguistics
University of Colorado

Quoting Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>:

* I am bemuzzled by the Colorado teen internet survey which Reid Cornwell
* has shared with us.
*
* Here is what he posted:
*
* "The Center For Internet Research just completed an online survey. While
* the
* results are preliminary the trends are clear and as follows:
*
* *       Links to the survey form were sent via email to 2000 Colorado
* teens
* between 14 and 18
* *       1,000 were in rural settings and 1,000 were urban
* *       1,123 people responded
* *       610 rural kids responded (insignificant gender differences)
* *       515 urban kids responded (insignificant gender differences)
* *       All respondents reported that they participated in some sort of
* real-time chatting
* *       All reported that they did so while doing other tasks (homework
* etc.)
* *       All reported that they preferred this form of communication rather
* than telephone
* *       All reported that they spent more time chatting online or emailing
* than they spent in f2f activities
* *       All reported that they downloaded music at some time
* *       All reported that they share music, links data, and homework with
* their friends
* *       All reported that they valued technical skills of their peers and
* it
* appears that kids who help them keep their devices working had certain
* status
* *       All reported that they did not perceive a peer to peer negative
* reaction related to computer use or skills
* *       All reported that kids who did not use these devices were seen as
* odd or different. (stigma)"
* /END PREVIOUS POST
*
* This apparently is an internet-only population.
* A few questions:
*
* 1. What was the sampling frame? Was it a random sample?
* 2. What was the response rate?
* 3. And most importantly, I am immensely impressed that All of the
* respondents agreed in All of the items mentioned above. Even Brezhnev
* only had 99% or so voting for him in USSR elections in the 1980s, as I
* recall. What is it about Colorado teens that they agree with each other so
* thoroughly?
*
*  Barry
*  _____________________________________________________________________
*
*   Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
*   wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
*
*   Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
*   455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
* 	     To network is to live; to live is to network
*
*
* is provided by the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
* Subscribe, change options or unsubscribe at: