[Air-l] Internet as medium with different sub-media or channels?

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:25:45 PST 2006

Ulla:
> A fifth meaning for the word "medium" is "person who can talk to ghosts and otherwise
> dead people." This meaning doesn't really pertain to what most of us are studying...

In "Speaking into the Air," John Durham Peters takes this
idea--angelic communication and communion with the dead--as the
starting point for thinking about what we do when we (fail to)
communicate. If "real" communication is between embodied individuals,
it seems that most of us study ghosts in some form.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what your students mean :).