[Air-l] languages, carnival of air-l

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Wed Mar 22 08:27:01 PST 2006

As the sole person from the original executive committee still
serving and as one of the original 14 subscribers to this list, I
would like to clear up a myth that seems to have emerged in the last
few days.

Air-l has NEVER HAD A LANGUAGE POLICY. You are free to post to this
list in any language you choose. That people have historically done
so in English reflects, I am sure, the language of those first
subscribers and the sense of English as lingua franca, but there has
never been any mandate, dictate, edict, rule, or even suggestion from
the executive committee that languages other than English are not to
be used on this list.

Nancy