[Air-l] Language on the Internet (was AoIR in Latin-America)

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at umich.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:25:30 PST 2006

here's a thought, just to throw it out there (since I find this
conversation interesting)
(although perhaps "English" is Western... not in terms of origin, but
in other ways?)

"English as a global language poses a most vexing problem precisely
because it does not indicate any particular national culture. It is
neither English nor British, neither North American nor Australian,
neither South African nor Indian, neither Jamaican nor Singaporean,
nor does it stand for anything like a cultural aggregate of all
these. We simply have no idea what English stands for except the
global market—itself a vague reference—which is to say, we have no
idea what it stands for culturally." (p. 4)

Judy, R. (1999). Some notes on the status of global English in
Tunisia. boundary 2, 26(2), 3-29.