[Air-l] English as a journal language

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 23 12:14:26 PST 2006

FWIW, I offer the following ongoing story:

I've been invited to a Latin language country to spend 2 days this June
teaching how to write "international" journal articles.

I was surprised at first.

I was told that the scholars in this country have basically been writing
reports for the government and NGOs, or for their own journals -- not much
refereeing.

So it appears that it is not the language I am teaching, but how to write
for journals in the North American traditions. (Note "s" at the end of the
word).

And while I have the floor, an apology to the guy whose name I spelled
wrongly the other day. It wasn't that I was putting him down, as he
too-quickly charged, it is that when I respond to the digest, other names
are not easily visible to me. I did want to respond to misleading
information that was being put out about AOIR in Toronto, but I also had
"Connected Lives" page proofs due that day (all 50 pp!), the phone was
ringing (archaic instrument that I keep around), and I was fighting the
clock. Time stress is the explanation, and not an effort to put down by
sloppy spelling. When I put some one down, I do it up front.

BTW, while I find the linguistic discussion interesting, is it really an
AoIR issue?

 Barry