[Air-l] myspace and race

Mary L. Gray qcentral at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 28 11:47:32 PST 2006

hey folks,
to add to Danah's run down of myspace and noted lack of participation
from rural kids in the U.S.:

from the ethnographic work I did of rural youth (predominantly
working poor to lower middle class white folks) using new media in
the U.S. (primarily rural KY and its border states), young people in
non-metro communities did not use computers at school for myspace or
other community networking because <drum roll>
as poor as their school districts might be, the 1 thing their schools
(often county or regional aggregate schools here) did was invest in
tracking and website blocking software. Students couldn't view
anything online without their moves being registered and documented.
Most of the money and technology came from the State level. In other
words, this is what the State budgets would offer...that and
abstinence only sex ed of course.

so, rural public library branches were some of the most important
places for youth access outside of the home (and home access was
limited to a subset of white middle class kids where broadband
delivery was a luxury and not a given regardless of the means to buy
it). So, rural youth are still a predominantly dial-up crowd in the U.S.

really enjoying the list discussions these days.
best,
mg
________________________
Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty
Gender Studies Department and American Studies Program
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405-9700
ph. 812/855.4379
fx.  812/855.6014