[Air-l] Perspective: It's my Internet--I can do what I want

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Mar 30 10:37:16 PST 2006

I tend to think that this is paranoia.  What is far more likely is
that on some messages, various people in the administration are being
BCC'd by certain people or other people are forwarding messages.
surveillance is much more common in a politically or competitively
charged environment, when people have something to gain from it and
thus do it to each other.... no?
On Mar 30, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Ellis Godard wrote:

> Employees roaming is interesting. Employers watching is worrisome. An
> increasing number of colleagues (at my institution and elsewhere) have
> expressed concerns that their chairs, deans, and/or provosts have
> gotten
> access to their campus-based mail accounts, including citing specific
> phrases that they believed they had used only in private
> communications.
> Anyone have a sense of how likely (or common) that is (in academia or
> anywhere)?
>
> -eg

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal