[Air-l] teens and myspace

Andrea Kavanaugh kavan at vt.edu
Wed Mar 1 07:42:51 PST 2006

...regarding women on the telephone in the early days of diffusion,
Claude Fischer (1992, America Calling: A social history of the
telephone to 1940) makes the case that women were often using the
telephone to *overcome the isolation* that was part of the context of
being home during the day and not close enough physically to friends
or kin to visit them in person.  Thus, the telephone more often
served to keep women socially connected and involved in their
community (between face-to-face visits and meetings) rather than to
diminish their participation in community.