[Air-l] deconstructed and misconstrued

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 2 08:25:11 PST 2006

At 3/2/2006 @ 10:07 AM, you wrote:
>I've been deconstructed and miscontrued by a commentator on my "levels of
>writing piece in the last digest.
>
>In it, I said "we reach into the humanities."
>The commentator thought I meant "we" meaning me.
>
>Nope. I meant "We" (being AOIR) includes the humanities.
>
> >From being on the exec, I recall that the majority (perhaps the great
>majority of AoIR members are in the social sciences. But that the
>membership reaches into (includes) many humanities scholars.

Actually, no, I knew you meant AoIR.  That was my point.  There are
certainly enough humanities folks in the mix here -- and that
shouldn't be a secret by now -- that we're not just a special
outreach program of an association founded by old school quantitative
researchers (especially since I suspect the likes of Steve Jones and
Nancy Baym wouldn't recognize themselves in that light anyway)

cheers
gil