[Air-l] CFP: Graduate Student Research Group

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 20 12:05:24 PST 2006

I continue to be concerned about the attempts I see to ghettoize
graduate students within AoIR.  These proposals are usual presented as
“ways to increase student participation” but if approved would serve to
separate graduate students into group's of lower status within the
organization or at minimum would create a secondary administrative
structure.

AoIR has an excellent history of graduate student inclusion at all
levels of the organization.  In my five years of membership, I have
done a wide variety of things to assist the organization and have never
been hindered because I am a graduate student.  During that time I
have, likewise, seen other graduate student members who have been
involved in all levels of the organization.  The only separation of
graduate students from the general membership that I find is the
decreased organizational dues cost, a status that is available to other
classes scholars as well.

I think this proposal is an excellent example of the issue that
concerns me.  Graduate students are being asked to step forward and
volunteer to be members of a pool to conduct “research” – projects that
sound more like organizational evaluation efforts than academic
research.  The title of the “project” separates these assignments from
any other work the organization might choice to have done by an ad hoc
committee, one that would not be burdened with a titling limitation on
membership.

If the work needs to be done then create ad hoc committees/working
groups to fulfill the need, that way membership could be sought
throughout the organization.  This would also allow for those who are
truly interested in the project to volunteer their service to the
organization, rather than the current proposal that requires a graduate
student to volunteer their service to the Graduate Student
Representative for later assignment to currently ill-defined
“projects.”  This would create organizational transparency something I
feel has been a core value of AoIR.

I believe that before projects to “include” graduate students should be
undertaken those making the decision should conduct an analysis of the
roadblocks that are impeding graduate students from involvement.
First, are there in fact roadblocks?  If so, are the roadblocks you
find ones we can control organizationally?  If they are outside our
control can we help members find work-arounds for the specific issue?

One of the ways to assess the existence of and potentially the types of
roadblocks involved is to talk to those who you perceive to be
affected, which could have been done on the graduate student list.  In
truth, the low activity on the graduate student list may answer the
question in part, students are active in the main list and likely see
no need for a separate list.  However, since the infrastructure is in
place it would have been good to use it to start the discussion even if
the discussion then needed to move to the main list.

In short, to protect from the perception of ghettoization first a
analysis should be done to establish that a true need exists.  Then a
more persuasive argument must be presented that establishes the value
of even pilot projects within the organization.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Future Faculty Teaching Fellow (2005-2006) - School of Informatics, Indiana
University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Indianapolis IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com