[Air-l] CFP: Graduate Student Research Group

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Fri Mar 24 10:57:59 PST 2006

> Recently Ted Coopman, the elected AoIR grad student representative,
> posted the call for expressions of interest in being involved in the
> AoIR Graduate Student Research Group, eliciting some discussion on the
> list. As President I just want to emphasise that this proposal is fully
> supported by the executive, based on Ted's detailed planning.

Then the executive should, perhaps, consider ways to inform the graduate
student constituency and the list at large of the details of Ted's
planning.  As yet, we have seen very little substantive information that
would allow one to evaluate the worth of participation.

This is a very straightforward note letting the exec know that Ted is not
communicating with his constituents in any manner whatsoever, and that we
expect to see that situation change post-haste.

> It also follows on from some of the things that Ted indicated he wanted
> to do as grad student rep in the pre-election discussions in 2005.I also
> want to indicate (as Ted has already explained) that the GSRG is in a
> pilot stage and may or may not continue, or be changed, depending on
> what happens over the next year or so. Indeed the comments made on the
> list will prove useful in helping to shape and develop the GSRG in ways
> that are fully supportive of both the broad aims of the Association and
> specifically supporting and promoting graduate students.

This sort of thing would have been useful:

"Dear list,

We are considering spinning up an initiative that would enhance graduate
student involvement in some of AoIR's internal projects (such as Z) and
would do X and Y things to support and promote the needs of graduate
students.

We are considering proceeding by implementing A, B, and C policy changes,
and by asking interested graduate students to consider D, E, and F
options.

Further discussion of these initial plans, as well as future
brainstorming, will take place on the air-grad listserv.

--The exec / Ted"

> Can I ask that any graduate students who are interested in involvement
> in the group contact Ted directly for more information. Since it is a
> pilot project, involvement will assist us making sure that the GSRG
> continues and develops to meet a variety of needs within the
> Association. Shortly, Ted will provide some basic info and additional
> details as they emerge on the aoir website.

I will repeat, one more time, that initiatives that are planned from
within a "black box" - that is, without community participation - and are
specifically tuned toward graduate students may have the effect of
actively ghettoizing graduate students rather than protecting and
supporting said students.

Having these initiatives discussed and planned 'in the open' is strongly
preferable to having them spring forth full-formed like Athena from a
single person's (or a small group of persons - the exec) imagination.

Removing the discussion from air-l or air-grad is counterproductive, and
begins to look like a silencing tactic.  Perhaps Ted should initiate
conversation on air-grad rather than individuals being asked to contact
him off-list.

--e