[Air-l] myspace and race

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Mar 26 08:57:15 PST 2006

Nicolas Hamatake, David Lifson and Saket Navlakha prepared a paper for a
graduate level class that deals heavily with race.  The paper is entitled:
The Facebook: Analysis of a Cornell Community Social Network.

The paper can be downloaded here:
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/nh39/papers/cs685.pdf

The authors acknowledge the methodological shortcomings of the study, and
it has not been peer-reviewed.  And also, its not about Myspace.  That
said, it should be interested to a few of us who haven't come across the
paper yet.

-Fred

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, danah boyd wrote:

> I know of none but would be very interested in this.  I am paying
> attention to the (lack of) diversity in youth networks on these
> sites.  For example, even in schools that are racially mixed, the
> profiles people connect to on MySpace are very homogeneous.
>
> On Mar 24, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Greg Wise wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> Just following up on the myspace thread that bounced around here
>> last month: anyone know of any work regarding myspace and race? In
>> particular representation, self-presentation, etc. of race on
>> myspace (or similar sites). The article in the NYT a few weeks ago
>> on online self-portraits got me thinking about identity performance
>> and negotiation on such sites.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Greg Wise

>> http://www.aoir.org/

> "taken out of context i must seem so strange"
>
> musings :: http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts

Fred Stutzman
http://claimID.com
AIM: chimprawk