[Air-l] myspace and race

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Mar 27 23:22:18 PST 2006

Sorry - i should clarify - i don't mean that there isn't diversity in
users.  MySpace has more traction with youth from diverse backgrounds
than any site on the web.  In the schools that i'm tracking, there's
no racial differentiation in MySpace participation.  That said, of
the kids who i've talked to who refuse to use the site, 100% are
white (most come from wealthy backgrounds too... a handful view it as
a political stance against Murdoch... but the number of intentional
non-participants is relatively small).  Urban and suburban kids are
more likely to participate than rural kids, but that's the only
segmentation i've really seen. But when it comes to race and class,
this is not stopping participation.  Working class kids are all on
there - they log in at school mostly.  (Interestingly, the poorer
schools are less likely to have the blocking devices on their
technology so underprivileged kids can log in at school while rich
kids can't.)  [All this said, i have no official numbers - only what
i see on a daily basis... PEW is working on getting some formal
numbers though.]

The lack of diversity that i'm noting is within a given network (on
all levels).  Users' friends tend to use the same language,
representation style, have the same music identification, and, on a
performance level, read as the same race.  Homophily at work.  This
probably says something significant about offline interracial
friendships.  Take some of the schools that i'm following in Los
Angeles and Oakland.  These schools are typically half Latino and
half black.  If i look at the kids' profiles, the Latino kids all
link to each other and the black kids all link to each other but
there is very little interracial connections.

I hope that helps clarify.

As for the clunky interface... well, that's exactly why teens wanna
be there.  It's their space, not adult space.  And all the better
that adults can't figure it out.  <grin>

danah