[Air-l] Social-networking article (Facebook, MySpace, Xanga)

GTa3411203 at aol.com GTa3411203 at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 06:13:48 PST 2006

I teach undergrad students who are in training to be educators in K-12
schools. I keep an eye on several publications that are geared toward the interests
of teacher practitioners. I came across an article "Social-Networking Web
Sites Pose Growing Challenge for Educators" in the latest edition of Education
Week. The article calls attention to the manner in which school districts are
addressing legal concerns related to student usage of Facebook, and other
Internet-based social-networking services such as MySpace and Xanga. It mentions
issues related to regulating student on- and off-campus activities. Lots of
attention is given to protecting student best interests.

The article can be accessed online via the www.edweek.org web site. You will
need a subscription to access the article. If you don't have one, you can
register to get a free subscription which will give you access to the publication
and limited access to complete copies of article.

-- Gail

Gail Taylor, M.Ed.
Human Resource Education Ph.D. Student
Educational Psychology Teaching Assistant
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign