[Air-l] Teens Online

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell wrc at tcfir.org
Tue Mar 7 17:28:39 PST 2006

The Center For Internet Research just completed an online survey. While the
results are preliminary the trends are clear and as follows:

*	Links to the survey form were sent via email to 2000 Colorado teens
between 14 and 18
*	1,000 were in rural settings and 1,000 were urban
*	1,123 people responded
*	610 rural kids responded (insignificant gender differences)
*	515 urban kids responded (insignificant gender differences)
*	All respondents reported that they participated in some sort of
real-time chatting
*	All reported that they did so while doing other tasks (homework
etc.)
*	All reported that they preferred this form of communication rather
than telephone
*	All reported that they spent more time chatting online or emailing
than they spent in f2f activities
*	All reported that they downloaded music at some time
*	All reported that they share music, links data, and homework with
their friends
*	All reported that they valued technical skills of their peers and it
appears that kids who help them keep their devices working had certain
status
*	All reported that they did not perceive a peer to peer negative
reaction related to computer use or skills
*	All reported that kids who did not use these devices were seen as
odd or different. (stigma)

These results have not been analyzed in depth and have not been published.

I anyone can point me to current research that seem to contradict these
results, please do so. (last 2 years). I would also be interested in studies
that deal with the non-connected population.

We intend to do this same study in 3 other states before we publish (East,
Mid-west, Coastal West). At that time methods will be revealed.

Reid Cornwell

  _____

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell
The Center For Internet Research