[Air-l] Habermas and the Internet

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 14:29:24 PST 2006

The full text of his speech in German in PDF form is apparently here:
http://www.renner-institut.at/download/texte/habermas2006-03-09.pdf

The translation that is circulating around the Internet of some of
what he said about the Internet from signandsight is:
"On the one hand, the communication shift from books and the printed
press to the television and the Internet has brought about an
unimagined broadening of the media sphere, and an unprecedented
consolidation of communication networks. Intellectuals used to swim
around in the public sphere like fish in water, but this environment
has become ever more inclusive, while the exchange of ideas has
become more intensive than ever. But on the other hand the
intellectuals seem to be suffocating from the excess of this
vitalising element, as if they were overdosing. The blessing seems to
have become a curse. I see the reasons for that in the de-
formalisation of the public sphere, and in the de-differentiation of
the respective roles."

Did you translate that other paragraph you quoted yourself, Jeremy
Hunsinger? Or was there another page on signandsight I missed?

It is excessively frustrating that his speech has not been translated
to English in full yet, so please add my voice to the request that
someone translate it and post it to the list (and preferably put the
translation onto a web page somewhere we can all link to).

P.S. Can anyone suggest how one should refer to a speech using
Endnote? I have ended up treating Habermas' speech transcript as an
"Electronic Source" resulting in this:

Habermas, J. (2006) Ein Avantgardistischer Spürsinn Für Relevanzen
Renner Institute  Last accessed: 28 March, 2006   Last updated: 9
March, 2006  Address:  http://www.renner-institut.at/download/texte/
habermas2006-03-09.pdf.

But I'm sure there's a better way...

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)