[Air-l] transcription

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Fri Mar 3 07:42:33 PST 2006

I should've mentioned that which transcription software is best depends
on what you are doing. If you are transcribing your own voice, then
DragonNS might be OK. But if you are transcribing another person's
talk, or that of a whole group, the utility of DragonNS becomes
questionable at best, because Dragon must be trained to the voice(s) it
is transcribing before it can be used, and it is rarely the case that
you can get someone other than yourself to take the time to complete
the initial training, much less stick around to make corrections during
the transcription process. So, if you want to automate transcription of
other people's talk, you usually have to recreate other people's talk
in your own voice (i.e., listen to what they say through headphones and
then repeat it into the microphone of another recording device), and
then train the software to your voice. And then you have to contend
with the fact that, though Dragon is probably the best voice
recognition software out there, it's not very good even on a single
voice. I found that you have to talk very slowly, at an unnaturally
steady pace to get it to work at all, and even then I had a lot of
corrections to make. Just transcribing on my own was at least as fast
if not faster. From the forums I looked at a couple years ago, it
seemed like my experience was typical, and it seemed that most of the
folks who used DragonNS, ViaVoice, etc. were folks who couldn't
manipulate a keyboard or folks  like lawyers and salespeople who used
it to transcribe brief memos they recorded while in the car or hunched
over documents. I should also mention that an alternative to
transcribing on your own is paying a service to do so. I think that
standard rates for this, and related topics have been discussed on
either the qualsoft list or the languse email lists, both of which are
good resources for questions about transcription. Of course, if you
have someone else transcribe, you'll still have to review the
transcription for accuracy to the recordings, etc. Finally, here are a
couple sites with a lot of language analysis (including transcription)
software. descriptions and reviews:
http://www.qualitativeresearch.uga.edu/QualPage/qda.html
http://www.textanalysis.info/
Best,