[Air-l] Angels, Ghosts, Mediums

Jean Burgess je.burgess at qut.edu.au
Mon Mar 13 15:55:15 PST 2006

Misgivings about the implied magical transparency of communication
technologies aside...

There's a nice quote from John Durham Peters that resonates with me
in terms of what I see happening a lot on the web at the moment: the
breakdown of distinctions between private/intimate and public
communication.  I see this happening through the articulation of
individual social networking with personal narrative and public or
networked portfolios of creative content.  I think of the desires
expressed in this way as a  "becoming real" to the network:

The quote -
"If success in communication was once the art of reaching across the
intervening bodies to touch another’s spirit, in the age of
electronic media it
has become the art of reaching across the intervening spirits to
touch another
body. Not the ghost in the machine, but the body in the medium is the
central
dilemma of modern communications." (1999, pp. 224-225)

Cheers
Jean Burgess

http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~burgess

Researcher and PhD Candidate