[Air-l] Internet as medium with different sub-media or channels?

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 23:48:40 PST 2006

Equally humbly seeking further information in relation to Bob Rehak's very interesting contribution (and expressing my appreciation to those who posted the related things), I quote again (apologies again for the awkward form & single quotes) what Bob wrote:

'My question, then, is this: if packet transmission methods are
specialized according to different end needs, then doesn't this argue
for the presence of the internet as a medium, in the sense that its
protocols are made to serve specific expressive functions? If all
packets are not created equal, then we can't reduce the model to "the
packet doesn't care what data it carries."

'To return to the analogy of the printing press, perhaps the press *is*
just a tool for replicating content -- but if its design includes the
ability to handle different fonts, colors of ink, sizes and types of
paper, etc., then the "hardware" is materially implicated in the
medium's expressive activity.'

I'd like to comment that I see nothing illogical (or technologically unsound?) about calling the Internet a medium, which it seems to be, (and in a/some layered form). But while "the 'hardware' is materially implicated in the medium's *expressive* activity" does it follow that the hardware can be assigned an *affective* activity?

  In the spirit of the seeker,

  William Bain, UAB, Barcelona