[Air-l] AIOR international

Beverly Trayner btrayner at esce.ips.pt
Mon Mar 20 02:05:18 PST 2006

Nathanial, Jerek ... all

I think we need to use our collective imaginations on the language
issue. If we just leave it to English we miss out on a feast of
collective ideas and perspectives that different languages bring to
the table.  Also, most people (outside US and UK) speak more than one
language, so it's not just a matter of either speaking in English or
not. Most of us operate in two or more languages - the question is
how/when do we manage to do both?

We (a collection of bloggers) have been trying out a bi-lingual
blogging experiment. Once a month you translate someone's blog in
another language to your own. And anyone who's interested in joining
in - please do.

Here is some of the context of events leading to the Carnival of blog
translations:

I reflected about different ways people in Portugal blog in two
languages:
http://btrayner.blogspot.com/2006/02/bilingual-blogging-in-portugal.html

This led me to make a suggestion for the BlogHer conference in US in
July:
http://blogher.org/node/2257

This led to a call to the "Blog translation carnival" by Liz Henry:
http://literarytranslators.blogspot.com/2006/02/carnival-of-blog-
translation.html

And the first blog translation carnival took place on February the
28th, with Russian, French, English, Portuguese, Swedish, Bulgarian,
and Spanish all represented:
http://literarytranslators.blogspot.com/2006/02/first-carnival-of-
blog-translation.html

And the second carnival of blog translations will take place on March
28th. Fee free to join in. All the information you need is here:
http://btrayner.blogspot.com/2006/03/call-to-second-carnival-of-
blog.html

Here's a toast to having fun in different languages, rather than
feeling trapped by them!

Um abraço a todos!
Beverly

Beverly Trayner