[Air-l] Languages on the Internet - air-l Digest, Vol 20, Issue 28

Monica Murero monica.murero at unifi.it
Thu Mar 23 08:41:33 PST 2006

> I have been reading (finally) Carolyn Marvin's When Old Technologies
> Were New and she has a lovely section on how the British discounted
> Marconi over and over (insisting on calling him "Senor Marconi")
> until it couldn't be denied that he was responsible for the invention
> of the radio and then suddenly they started emphasizing that he had a
> British mother and wasn't really all that Italian afterall...

funny... Someone should tell Carolyn Marvin that actually  Guglielmo
Marconi's mom was Irish, not British - I am sure Irish appreciate the
difference. Annie Jameson ...the daughter of the founder of the Whiskey
Jameson: perhaps that helped too  !

Monica

----------------------------
Prof. Monica Murero, PhD
Director, E-Life International Institute,
Professor in Methods and Analisys of Online Research
Association of Internet Researchers (www.aoir.org) - Executive Board &
Treasurer

University of Florence - MICC, Center of Excellence for Media Integration
and Communication
Largo de Gasperi, 1 - 50136 Firenze (Italy)
Tel. + 390 55 4237401
Fax + 390 55 4237400  or  +390 550 5187 29
Website http://www.micc.unifi.it
E-mail: monica.murero at unifi.it

http://www.aoir.org/?q=node/133
http://www.captaindoc.com/interviews/interviews12.html