[Air-l] Language on the Internet (was AoIR in Latin-America)

Nils Zurawski nils.zurawski at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Mar 24 01:35:47 PST 2006

Alex,

you just indicated why English speaker indeed
should learn another language, or why it is not
such a bad idea, despite the fact that all the
others do speak some form of English... the
reasons to learn a language go beyond love or
curiosity... to speak or understand a language  -
not the same thing necessarily - also means to
understand a culture, or is at least a gateway to
begin to understand... language also transports
meaning and culture..

"The Internet
is not static, continues to evolve, mostly out of the English-
speaking realm where it's so integrated with the culture, "

if this is true for the Internet, then other
languages may give a hint on how these adapt to
this technology, how they see the world etc...
also we all can communicate with English as a
lingua franca, we may not understand the other
rightly..

just a thought....

best
nilz