[Air-l] teens and myspace

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Wed Mar 1 07:23:33 PST 2006

>I think it is essential to remember that the history of personal media
>did not start with computer-mediated communication. Avid users of the
>telephone were hardly stigmatized, were they? Women chatting on the
>telephone were at least perceived as anything but anti-social

My understanding is that there were actually a lot of concerns that
women chattering on the telephone would lead to lesser participation
in their communities/nation/etc. and that in fact the social use of
the telephone was seen as a threat at the time.

danah's point about reading is a good one too. Certainly there were
moral panics of sorts surrounding women's reading novels in the 19th
century.

Nancy