[Air-l] Sofware to capture content

Brian Cugelman BCugelman at unfccc.int
Wed Mar 1 07:42:03 PST 2006

Hi Eulàlia,

You could try SocSciBot3 http://socscibot.wlv.ac.uk/ which has an
application Cyclist that is used for text analysis.   This is free, but
it's a few years old and a bit buggy.  Though it's well worth the
investment and has good online tutorials.  Though not all functions are
covered.

Also, you can try one of the many website sucker apps.  I've been impressed
by web pipe: http://www.crystalsoftware.com.au/webpipe.html  It has a
modest price, but comes with an expensive  ad-on a data mining application.
Though I'm not sure what it has to offer over other regular expression
apps.  There are many on the market, but you'll probably find the extra
costs associated with the more expensive ones are worth it.

I know SPSS has a bunch of web analytics apps, and I have a fuzzy memory
about  recent version of NUDIST being useful for web coding, though I
haven't had a chance to test them out, so these are just some possible
leads.

I'd be very interested if you could let me know what you find in the end.

Brian

Brian Cugelman, Webmaster, Information Services
United Nations Climate Change Secretariat
bcugelman at unfccc.int
+49 228 815 1521
http://www.unfccc.int

             Eulalia Puig
             Abril
             <epabril at wisc.edu                                          To
             >                         air-l at listserv.aoir.org
             air-l-bounces at lis
             tserv.aoir.org                                        Subject
                                       [Air-l] Sofware to capture content

             01/03/2006 16:00

             Please respond to
             air-l at listserv.ao
              ir.org; Please
                respond to
             epabril at wisc.edu

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you know about software to capture website
content – specifically, to capture online news outlets (CNN, The Washington
Post, The New York Times…) as well as blog-types news.
We are about to engage in a research involving content coding these sites
and were wondering if anybody has information on costs (any free out
there?), ease of use, effectiveness in capturing content, time needed to
capture content at a point in time, time needed to capture 24-hour content,
and any other pertinent information that you may want to share.
Thanks in advance to ya all! Eulàlia Puig Abril