[Air-l] Sofware to capture content

Julio Meneses Naranjo jmenesesn at uoc.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:27:22 PST 2006

Eulàlia,

*I was wondering if any of you know about software to
*capture website content – specifically, to capture online
*news outlets (CNN, The Washington Post, The New York
*Times…) as well as blog-types news.
*We are about to engage in a research involving content
*coding these sites and were wondering if anybody has
*information on costs (any free out there?), ease of use,
*effectiveness in capturing content, time needed to capture
*content at a point in time, time needed to capture 24-hour
*content, and any other pertinent information that you may
*want to share.

Have a look on this book available online for a recent discussion
about websites archiving:
http://cfi.imv.au.dk/pub/boeger/bruegger_archiving.pdf

and, for concrete applications, I could point you (if you can read
Catalonian as I imagine) to a recent final report for a project
based on a similar methodology (but different goals, for sure)
making some use of Atlas TI to the content analysis:
http://www.uoc.edu/in3/psinet/docs/publicaciones/tecnico01.pdf

Obviously, it’s necessary to clarify the specific goals for later
considerations about the software solution to use. In this sense,
it's not the same to collect some information, to collect all the
websites or just to track changes in some specific web pages. In
any case, have a look at some software catalogs as Snapfiles
(http://www.snapfiles.com/) or Tucows (http://www.tucows.com/).
They have some restrictions for thematic software and specific
conditions to search only under the freeware pieces.

I hope it helps!

*Thanks in advance to ya all! Eulàlia Puig Abril
*
*Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
*http://www.aoir.org/

Julio Meneses (blog: http://www.zanadoria.com)
Dept. Psychology and Educational Sciences.
The Open University of Catalonia
http://www.uoc.edu/

Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3 - UOC) Research Staff.
Project Internet Catalonia (PIC) - Schools on the Network Society
http://www.uoc.edu/in3/pic/