[Air-l] levels of jargon

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 2 08:18:22 PST 2006

What's also interesting is the assumption by those working with statistics that
no one outside the field will know the terms, but not the mirror of that from the
other side -- e.g., with 'performativity' which is certainly an in-group term.

For instance, when the OED has this kind of definition, (which is noted as a draft
entry from Dec. 2005), I think we need help!

Performativity, n

The fact or quality of being performative (cf. PERFORMATIVE adj.). Also: the fact
or quality of performing.

1970 Language 46 161 How are performative verbs represented in underlying
structure: Is performativity a presupposition, a predicate PERFORM, a qualifier,
or what? 1982 Jrnl. Philos. 79 168 The meaning of sentences with performative
prefixes..includes a peculiarly semantic kind of performativity. 1995 Times Lit.
Suppl. 24 Nov. 25/4 ‘Performativity’ is the guiding administrative principle,
imposed on faculty members.