[Air-l] transcription

Sue Cranmer sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 3 06:25:46 PST 2006

Dear Isabel

I'm not sure whether you are talking about dictation software or
transcribing interview tapes for instance?  I use the professional version
of Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 8 to dictate text and to move between
and within programmes.  My understanding is that the professional version
allows me to use programs such as the web, for instance, whereas the
nonprofessional version is for dictation only.

I have used it for two years with mixed results, but my use of it continues
to improve.  I have had to persist with it, not always easy, due to a
medical condition.  I found it slow to learn and to train, but it is
beginning to pay off.  Indeed, I am dictating this message to you now.  I
received six or seven days of formal training when I started and I don't
think I could have managed without this.  I would never have found the time
or space to persevere on my own.

I also use an Olympus digital tape recorder which I can dictate into when
mobile.  The dragon can then transcribe this from the recording.  However,
it would not be possible to use this to transcribe an interview, for
instance, due to the training needed for dragon to recognise my own voice.

I hope that this is helpful.  Please contact me if you want to know more.

Sue