[Air-l] the colorado survey

Mary K. Bryson mary.bryson at ubc.ca
Wed Mar 8 21:24:00 PST 2006

On 3/8/06 7:04 PM, "Bernie Hogan" <bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> ALL respondents said that the Internet either did not affect or made it
> easier to manage money, connect with family, to connect with friends, and to
> meet new people.  No one said the internet made it more difficult.

About the failure to find "stigma" or "Internet effects", I really wonder
about the ideological/discursive/cultural repertoires <or what Bourdieu
called, habitus> that produce these kinds of "findings".

Mazzarella's argues that "the cultural politics of globalization, inside and
outside the academy, involve a contradictory relation to mediation, on the
one hand foregrounding the mediated quality of our lives and on the other
hand strenuously disavowing it" (p. 345/2004/33/Annual Review of
Anthropology). I think that many of the people we interview, or survey, are
caught up in exactly this relation of intense suturing and simultaneous
disavowal with media. After all, they are the folks buying up every Ipod in
sight with jackets to match, marketed by Apple with the slogan that "Life is
random". Not quite.

Mary

PS>> For a very serious engagement with critiques of "academic jargon", the
following is an excellent article - Lather, P. (1996). Troubling Clarity:
The Politics of Accessible Language. Harvard Educational Review, 66(3).
Dr. Mary K. Bryson, Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator, ECPS,
Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia
Online Hyperlinked CV: http://educ.ubc.ca/faculty/bryson/cv.html
Research Profile http://www.ecps.educ.ubc.ca/research/mbryson.htm