[Air-l] AOIR in Toronto

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Mar 20 12:25:42 PST 2006

> Mr. Hunsinger who brought the matter up and I had to respond to it.

I brought the matter up, but I gave my understanding of the situation
was was based on fiscal concerns with translation and organizational
problems.

The actual composition of the exec at the time 2002 was 3 Europeans,
Ulla, Charlie, and Lisbeth, 2 Canadians Leslie and Barry, then the
rest of us, everyone in exec in varying capacities likely reads or
speaks at least one other language to some degree of competency.
The 2003 exec was likewise diverse, but had more Asian representation
and even less North American participation.  The past exec listing is
at http://www.aoir.org/?q=node/591 .  The lingua franca is English
because that is what AoIR has for the majority has held in common.

Remember first and foremost the conferences have been AoIR
conferences, and not 'locality' conferences, that is a confusion that
often causes misunderstandings.   As we attempt to further our
internationalization, we will bring more people into AoIR and we'll
expand as appropriate, but in my minds the pragmatics of the
organization such as not going bankrupt come first

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal