[Air-l] question for the list: who coined "talk/write"?

Angela Thomas a.thomas at usyd.edu.au
Fri Mar 24 02:30:41 PST 2006

Hi Andrea,

I used the term "talk/write" in my PhD and some other previously published
articles.  I don't know if I coined the term and I'm not entirely sure
when I first used it but in doing so I used concepts from Young (1994) as
in the following excerpt in an article I had published (pre-PhD) in 1999
(full details here:
http://www.readingonline.org/articles/dudfield/frame.html):

"Language use in this text is highly complex and sophisticated. It is "both
physical (letters on the screen) as it is in books, and fleeting and
ethereal like speech . . . a strange middle ground between written and
oral sensibilities" (Young, 1994). Users interact by "talking" with one
another, but that talk is "talk written down." What occurs in this form of
communication is an interface between oral and written language, with its
own unique textual and linguistic features."

So I think it could be attributed to ideas from Young.

Young, J.R. (1994). Textuality in cyberspace: MUDs and written experience.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation. Available (December 1998) at
http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Security/Hacking_cracking_phreaking/Net_culture_and_hacking/MOO_MUD_IRC/textuality_in_cyberspace.article

But if you can't find a reference for it, let me know and I'll check my old
papers for the first time I used it (likely 1999 or 2000).

Kind Regards,
Angela

http://anya.blogsome.com

Quoting andrea baker <bakera at ohiou.edu>:

> Hi, all,
> In working on an article about expression emotion online, I remember
> early on in the
> literature on online communication, someone used the term
> "talk/write" to describe
> online textual communication, whether in chat or email.
> Understanding that theoretically
> anyone could put those two words together to describe the tone of
> much online interaction,
> especially among friends, I wonder if you know who first used those
> words in a scholarly
> book or article?
>
> Also, feel free to suggest any other terms or to provide links to those.
>
> Thanks much in advance,
> andee/andrea baker

Angela Thomas
Lecturer in English Education,
Faculty of Education and Social Work
University of Sydney
Phone: +61 2 9351 6229,  Fax: +61 2 9351 2606

"Ceci n'est pas une .signature"