[Air-l] Everyday eBay--now in print

Dominic Pinto zorro at btinternet.com
Wed May 10 15:21:23 PDT 2006

--- Ken Hillis <khillis at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Everyday eBay: Culture, Collecting, and Desire
> Edited by Ken Hillis and Michael Petit with Nathan
> Epley
> Routledge, April 2006
> Everyday eBay is the first book-length scholarly
> analysis of eBay that
> examines how the site has become a global social,
> cultural, and economic
> phenomenon.  The nineteen interdisciplinary essays
> in the volume approach
> eBay from a wide variety of disciplinary
> perspectives, revealing how the
> auction site has become a bellwether of taste and
> material culture, a
> research tool, a nexus for the increasingly
> ubiquitous practice of selling
> and buying goods online, and a neoliberal
> facilitator of global
> consumerism.
> Ken Hillis is Associate Professor of Media Studies
> at the University of
> North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Certainly we have bellwether on e-bay -

but are we seeing a rather more pervasive phenomenon -
the following definition from financial markets (this
from ANZ Bank, for example: Bellwether (from the sheep
which leads the flock) a barometer. Financial markets
commentators speak of a particular bond being the
bellwether stock, meaning that movements in its price
are indicative of the mood or health of the market in
general) - of a term being used entirely out of

Independent Advisor
36 Bedfordbury Flat 29
Covent Garden
London WC2N 4DQ