[Air-l] Research on Internet Use in Finland?

James Downing jim.downing at rmit.edu.au
Sun May 14 21:10:59 PDT 2006

Hi,
How about
http://www.stat.fi/NordicInformationSociety2005.pdf

from this site which is no longer active,but if you search through you
will find some good stuff
http://e.finland.fi/weblog.asp?After=4

Hope this helps
also

http://www.vnk.fi/report.pdf
from
http://www.smartmobs.com/
go to site and type in finland on the search site field

good luck and all the best
Jim

>>> hauben at columbia.edu  >>>
Hi,

Ronda Hauben and I will be in Finland at the end of May attending a
history of technology conference.

Finland has played an important role providing innovative uses for the
Internet such as IRC and intellectual frames to look at the Internet
such as the Information Society. Also, Finland is the birthplace of
Linux. In recent literature Finland is often mentioned as sharing with
South Korea the distinction of the largest percent of the population
connected to the Internet via broadband.

Can anyone point me to any research on the impact of Internet use on
Finnish society or politics or other aspects particular to Finland? I
am especially interested in connections between Internet usage and
further democratization of societies.

Also, Ronda and I would very much like to meet or correspond with
people on the AIR-L list in Finland who share our interests in the
Internet, in the democratization process and netizens or in the
history of science and technology, so we can learn more about the
Finnish contribution to the Internet and to democratic practice.

Kiitos

Thanks.

Best wishes.

Jay