[Air-l] Wireless Broadband Internet

Monica Murero monica.murero at unifi.it
Mon May 22 14:18:00 PDT 2006

> suppose there's is a chance that somebody here knows something about
> the temporary Wibro service installed for the winter Olympics  in
> Italy recently?

Ciao from Italy. The first test of Wibro in Europe was done on a shuttle-bus
during the winter Olympics in Torino.Basically Wibro works as a super-fast
UMTS. This is  the new "broadband for cellular phones" at 15/20 megabits  -
much faster than UMTS - and is always connected . Many say it is  the
standard of the future . For example, at the moment  the quality of the TV
signal on cellulars is not brilliant , especially when people travel high
speed .  During the test for the Olympics, people have navigated while
videoconferencing with multiple users , and have exchanged content while
watching TV  moving around on a fast vehicle (I am sure my niece can do all
these things at the same time).  This new standard is based on the WiMax
technology . A major Korean company starting with S... has modified WiMax
and is introducing Wibro in Korea.  They will start implementing Wibro here
in Italy in 2007, in agreement with the major national telephone company. If
you can read Italian, there is more here
http://passionemobile.wordpress.com/2006/02/10/torino-tim-e-samsung-sperimentano-per-primi-in-europa-il-cellulare-del-futuro/

ciao, Monica
Prof. Monica Murero, PhD
Director, E-Life International Institute,
Professor in Communication and Media Integration
Association of Internet Researchers (www.aoir.org) - Executive Board &
Treasurer

University of Florence - MICC, Center of Excellence for Media Integration
and Communication
Largo de Gasperi, 1 - 50136 Firenze (Italy)
Tel. + 390 55 4237401
Fax + 390 55 4237400  or  +390 550 5187 29
Website http://www.micc.unifi.it
E-mail: monica.murero at unifi.it

http://www.aoir.org/?q=node/133
http://www.captaindoc.com/interviews/interviews12.html