[Air-l] finding a mentor..

Maciej Kos kos at gnu.univ.gda.pl
Wed May 3 16:17:29 PDT 2006

Dear All,

I feel a little awkward posting here as this is research oriented
community but I don't know who else I could turn to, so please excuse my
off-topic questions.

Some time ago I posted an e-mail here entitled: 'Social networking
websites research/grad student questions' and got some very valuable
with my research/PhD plans I have to change my school and move abroad
(probably to the US). Thank to Karine Barzilai-Nahon, Caroline
Haythornthwaite and Andrea Kavanaugh's posts I also decided that my
future school should be an Information one.

My problem is that I don't know anybody who has done it before or who
has any experience in applying to a PhD program in the US. I read 'all'
that google has to offer and am still lacking a lot of information. We
don't have any student advisers or a tradition of acting as a mentor
where I live.

So I am looking for a person that could help me:
-evaluate my current situation and point me in a right direction,
-show things to work on to improve my chances of being accepted,
-draw a road map,

It would also be great, if this person could get me involved in some
sort of a research project. It does not have to a be long-term
relationships (it could be!), just a couple e-mails would help me a lot.

Can you please tell me, how I can find such a person. How to approach
him/her? I have no idea how such relationships work because I have never
been in one nor do I know anybody has. Is there anybody who you would
recommend?

My main research interest is the influence of web 2.0 websites such as
digg.com or del.icio.us on information retrieval - how do such websites
change the way we look for and evaluate information online, will this
affect modern search engines such as google and what consequences this
may cause for online marketeers.

Thank you very much for your help and understanding.

Sincerely,
MK