[Air-l] Looking for good search-engine literature (Ben Peters)

Jay Hauben hauben at columbia.edu
Tue May 16 20:13:02 PDT 2006

Hi Ben,

I too am at Columbia.

If in your search you are interested in the history of the retrieval
question and its possible future, you might find the article,
Libraries of the Future 1945-1965 interesting reading. You can see it
at:

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/libraries-of-future.doc

It looks at the visions of Vannevar Bush, John Kemeny and JCR
Licklider asking the question, how can the whole corpus of knowledge
be accessed returning the highest possible degree of relevancy. All
three of the visions included considering how the human brain works.
Licklider's answer in 1962 was the search had to be more semantic than
syntactic. More recent work is cited especially that of Bruce Schatz,
e.g.,

"Information Retrieval in Digital Libraries: Bringing Search to the
Net". In: Science (Washington, DC). 275 (1997) 17. 327-334. Online at
http://www.canis.uiuc.edu/archive/papers/science-irdl-journal.pdf

For me, the question of how to successfully search the whole corpus of
knowledge is the most important question for digital library research.

Good luck with your research.

Take care.

Jay