[Air-l] citing web pages

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Wed May 24 07:37:14 PDT 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 23:26, Michael Zimmer wrote:
> Or, is it acceptable just to footnote the URL and leave it at that?

Mine are out of control! :) For example, in [1] all primary sources are
online and there are 9 WP page references: all within 2004-2006 range. So
it can be hard to distinguish what is what. In the actual in-line citations
I distinguish by appending the first letter of the first 3 words. For
example:
   (Wikipedia 2004n) ->
  Wikipedia (2004). Nupedia. Retrieved on December 22, 2005 from
  < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nupedia >.

In the dissertation, I might separate the bibliographies of primary and
secondary sources...

[1] http://reagle.org/joseph/2005/ethno/leadership.html