[Air-l] History of CITASA (and before) now in print

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon May 1 14:24:25 PDT 2006

Dear CITASA and AOIR list members:

I came back from bear watching in Tofino and networking in Vancouver to
find the Summer 2006 issue of Social Science Computer Review in the post.

Pp. 139-171 of this issue is a "Symposium on the History of CITASA,
1988-2005: From Microcomputers to Communications and Information
Technologies."

There are 4 articles: an integrative (and possibly analytic) piece by me,
an early years discussion by Ron Anderson, a middle years article by Grant
Blank, and a contemporary picture piece by David Elesh and George Dowdall.

All authors have been in leadership roles in CITASA and its precursors,
but have achieved some critical distance.

Michael Murphy, the ASA Executive Office guy in charge of sections tells
me that this is the only ASA section to have an institutional history.

My thanks to SSCR editor David Garson and co-editor Ron Anderson for
making this special symposium possible, and to Ron for also co-editing the
Symposium with me.

Finally, after waiting for other journals to arrive months after their
publication date, my congratulatory amazement that SSCR actually gets a
Summer issue out early: the end of April.

 Barry

  You're invited to visit -- and contribute to -- my new fun website
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php