[Air-l] studies on Local community strength by internet access

Andrea Kavanaugh kavan at vt.edu
Wed May 3 10:58:49 PDT 2006

In addition to Keith Hampton's study (with Barry Wellman) of Netville
noted by Doug Timusk earlier, we have found in Blacksburg that
Internet use increases community involvement for those who are
predisposed to become more involved. If you include increased
involvement and social interaction as measures of "community
strength", see, for example:
Kavanaugh, A. and Patterson, S. (2001) The Impact of Community
Computer Networks on Social Capital and Community Involvement.
American Behavioral Scientist, 45 (3) (special issue edited by Barry
and Caroline Haythornthwaite, including an article by Barry and Keith
on Netville).
Or more recently:
Kavanaugh, A., Carroll, J. M., Rosson, M. B., Zin, T. T., and Reese,
D.D. (2005). Community networks: Where offline communities meet
online. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 10(4)
<http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue4/kavanaugh.html>http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue4/kavanaugh.html

Let me know if you are interested in any other recent papers on
Blacksburg findings related to this.
Andrea

At 05:15 PM 4/12/2006, you wrote:
>Are there any studies showing that internet access increases local
>community strength? I think I came across this thesis on this list.
>Can someone point this out to me?
>
>thanks.
>

>Peter Timusk B.Math(2002) BA (2006) Carleton University
>running MacOSX,  Debian 3.0 & 3.1,
>WinXP &Win2K & Fedora Core 3
>Community activist, statistics worker.
>member IWW IU 620, CUPE 4600, USWA 9597
>Nothing I write is intended to be representative of my employer, or
>our clients. Nor do I alone speak for my unions.
>Feel free to learn more about me at www.crystalcomputing.net
>Computer ethics studies at www.webpagex.org
>blogs http://logbook.crystalcomputing.net <- computers
>http://notebook.webpagex.org <- school work