[Air-l] laptops in classrooms

Bonnie Nardi nardi at ics.uci.edu
Tue May 23 13:46:07 PDT 2006

Hi All,

Does anyone know the research on students using laptops in college
classrooms? Some of my undergrad students found in a survey that 50% of
the students in the sample said they would not use a laptop in class if
the Internet was not available. 50% said they only brought laptops to
class for entertainment purposes. (Not sure how the individuals
overlaps in each case, but have asked the students to do that
analysis).

I'd like to follow up and find out about any larger surveys/qualitative
studies on this topic.

Thanks.

--

Bonnie

Bonnie A. Nardi
School of Information and Computer Sciences
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3425
(949) 824-6534
www.artifex.org/~bonnie/