[Air-l] studies on Local community strength by internet access

Ben Anderson benander at essex.ac.uk
Wed May 3 14:32:44 PDT 2006

there have been a number of lit reviews in this area recently - see
for example:

Loader, B. and L. Keeble (2004). Challenging the digital divide? A
review of online community support. Digital Age. York, Joseph
Rowntree Foundation. http://www.jrf.org.uk/KNOWLEDGE/FINDINGS/
socialpolicy/584.asp

As part of a European project on ICT, social capital and Quality of
life (www.socquit.net) Mark Gaved and I put together a similar report
focusing on (strangely enough) social capital and quality of life in
wired communities (http://www.essex.ac.uk/chimera/content/pubs/wps/
CWP-2006-06-Local-ICT-Social-Capital.pdf).

High quality long-term empirical studies are quite rare.

Depends what you mean by 'strength' of course.

Ben

> At 05:15 PM 4/12/2006, you wrote:
>> Are there any studies showing that internet access increases local
>> community strength? I think I came across this thesis on this list.
>> Can someone point this out to me?

----
Dr Ben Anderson
Deputy Director, Chimera, University of Essex
+44 (0) 7710 187 806
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~benander