[Air-l] second life from: refs on myspace and facebook

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Nov 16 18:44:47 PST 2006

I'd say you are right, but I'd also argue that the interface and the
activities that you learn through provide a shared/'sharable
experience.  i don't thing in world co-presence is as strong as one
would think.   there are a ton  of random associations in world where
they might be in the same place, but their experience of it is
profoundly different, even if they are chatting to each other.
video, audio, hud enhancements, etc... the interface constitutes a
frame for shared experience too in my view.

i'm buridan simon in sl.
On Nov 16, 2006, at 8:13 PM, Jonathan Stern wrote:

> Jeremy and others,
>
> I'd say the interface itself does not provide a true shared
> activity, second
> life is a great place for shared activities, but the simple
> interface and
> movement scheme does not echo anything shared for me.  A user could
> very
> easily use second life and attempt to never truly interact with
> others while
> still using a shared activity.
>
> Overall Shared Activity--Conceptually could mean many things but,
> shared
> activites are an important and neccessary part of the SL dynamic
> and I would
> argue that sharing or communal activities are central to what SL is
> about.
>
> Sorry for the somewhat not cohesive rant,
>
> Jon
>
> On 11/14/06, Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> hmmm, i would argue the opposite.  I would say the SL interface, the
>> avatarian embodiment, the world physics with walking, flying and
>> related activities all constitute an overall shared activity.   But
>> what do you mean by overall shared activity?
>> On Nov 14, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Mark Bell wrote:
>>
>>> Bonnie,
>>>
>>> Just a note. There is no overall shared activity in Second Life.

>> jeremy hunsinger
>> Assistant Professor
>> Pratt Institute
>> www.cddc.vt.edu
>> wiki.tmttlt.com
>> www.tmttlt.com
>>
>> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
>> /\                        - against microsoft attachments
>> http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
>> http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  Learning Inquiry-the journal
>> http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary
>> Studies:the book series