[Air-l] Practice vs Scholarship

radhika gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Tue Nov 21 14:41:35 PST 2006

Kevin

I think understanding activism is a worthy goal. By studying the way
activism is done in various contexts - we understand and learn. The
binary of activists as doing and academics as ("objectively")
studying must be unpacked.

The problem with articulating research in such a way that it is
implicitly conflated with expertise  (where "expert" is considered to
be hierarchically above the practitioner/activist since this
researcher/expert somehow is considered to have a objective overall
perspective on the issue... ) and not with processual LEARNING is
that we go into our research settings expecting to be distant and
objective.

On the other hand if we accept that doing research while learning and
engaging and doing - in other words doing a sort of engaged action
research project or involved critical ethnography etc - is a learning
process - we go in with humility and try to position ourselves as
someone who wishes to be educated rather than as a know-all Academic
looking to collect data and then heading off to write it up and
report within spaces that have no accountability to the context being
researched....

For instance, I might articulate my role in RELATION to
activists/practitioners that I am working with as a researcher by
describing research as my PRACTICE. My practice is to work side by
side with those that practice forms of activism and to assist in
translating at their request, but also to provide them with a
critical lens through a mirroring function and through my analyses
discussed first with them before taking them away and publishing them
in spaces that are not accountable to them....

Further - there is practice, and there's practice and then there's
practice - each situated in differing ideologies and hierarchies.
Just as there is research, and there's research and then there's
research - each situated in differing ideologies and hierarchies.

My scholarship is my practice.

My activist collaborator's practice is her scholarship...

--
Radhika Gajjala
Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator

For queries about
BGSU's School of Communication Studies
Grad program, email comsgrad at bgsu.edu

For info on the Theory Research cluster at SCS - see
http://scs.bgsu.edu/Research/ResearchClusters/theory.php