[Air-l] On-line behaviour

Robert Cannon rcannon100 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 12:55:55 PST 2006

You should check the work of Pew Internet.
http://www.pewinternet.org/  Particularly interesting
here is there studies of "Refusniks" and why some
people remain isolated or offline.  While clearly
there are refuseniks - I think the latest Pew Internet
work finds that those groups are becoming increasingly
demographically isolated and over time are vanishing.
There are for example elder populations which have not
gotten online - but as generations move
demographically, this is becoming a smaller factor.

You can also find some statistical data aggregated on
Cybertelecom.  This page has a subcategory re
refuseniks
http://www.cybertelecom.org/data/broadband.htm

--- John Veitch <jsveitch at ate.co.nz> wrote:

> Alexis Turner wrote:
> > This response is indicative of something I have
> been thinking about a lot
> > lately, which can basically be summed up by asking
> "WHY do we expect people to
> > use the web to the extent to which we, web
> professionals and scholars, do?" and
> > "WHY are we so dumbfounded when they don't?" In
> particular, I have really begun
> > to question my own horrified, but, ultimately,
> knee jerk reaction to discovering
> > that someone does not "engage," "participate," or
> "produce" things on the web.
> > After all, I don't grow my own food, fix my own
> car, or build my own
> > calculators, so why should I expect others to
> learn HTML, join a list, or
> > defrag their own harddrive?

Cybertelecom :: Federal Internet Law & Policy
            www.cybertelecom.org

Light to Unite!  Click the Website to lite the candle and Bristol Myers Squibb will donate $1 to fight AIDS (up to $100K total). World AIDS Day is Dec. 1  https://www.lighttounite.org/  At last check, only $84K has been raised.