[Air-l] CMC and Folklore

sigalz at shaw.ca sigalz at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 3 12:20:45 PST 2006

Thank you. I have added some to yours:

Anderson, Benedict. ([1983]1991) Imagined Communities: Reflections on the
Origin and Spread of Nationalism. Revised edition. London & NY: Verso.

Bailey, C. 1996: “Virtual Skin: Articulating Race in Cyberspace”. In Moser,
M. A. (ed.) Immersed in Technology: Art and Virtual Environments. Cambridge,
MA: The MIT Press, 29-49
Baym, Nancy K.  1993.  "Interpreting Soap Operas and Creating Community."
The Journal of Folklore Research.  30:  2/3.  143-77.

Baym, Nancy, K. (1998). "The Emergence of On-Line Community," in Samuel. G.
Jones (Ed.). CyberSociety 2000: Revisiting Computer-Mediated Communication
and Community. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, pp. 35-68.
Betsy Hearne & Anna Nielsen (2004). Catch a Cyber by the Tale: Online
Orality and the Lore of a Distributed Learning Community. In C.
Haythornthwaite & M.M. Kazmer (Eds.). Learning, Culture and Community in
Online Education: Research and Practice (pp. 59-87). NY: Peter Lang.
Birkerts, S. 1994: The Gutenberg Elegies: The Fate of Reading in an
Electronic Age. Winchester, MA: Faber and Faber
Communication on the Internet," (in Western Folklore Volume 56, Number 3/4,
Summer/Fall 1997: 295-315)
Danet, B., Ruedenberg-Wright, L., and Rosenbaum-Tamari, Y. 1997: “Hmmm...
Where's that Smoke Coming From?: Writing,Play and Performance on Internet
Relay Chat”. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 2:4. Available at:
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol2/issue4/danet.html
Danet's Brenda Cyberpl at y

Dégh, Linda.  2001.  Legend and Belief:  Dialects of a Folklore Genre.
Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press.

Dorst, John , 1999.  "Which Came First, the Chicken Device or the Textural
Egg?: Documentary Film and the Limits of the Hybrid Metaphor." Journal of
American Folklore.  112 (445):  268-281.

Cyberbodies, 1996 Cyberpunk: Cultures of Technological Embodiment. Newbury
Park, CA: Sage.
Fernback, J. (2003). "Legends on the net: an examination of computer-
mediated communication as a locus of oral culture." New media & society
5(1): 29-45.

Fernback, Jan.  2003.  "Legends on the net: an examination of
computer-mediated communication as a locus of oral culture."  New Media &
Society.5-1.  29 - 45.

Gunkel, David, J. and Gunkel, Ann (1997). "Virtual geographies: The New
Worlds of Cyberspace," Critical Studies in Mass Communication, 14, pp.
123-37.
Hathaway, Rosemary V.  "The Visual Nature of 9/11 Lore." Journal of Folklore
Research.  42 (1): 2005.  33-56.

Herring, S. (ed.) 1996: Computer-Mediated Communication: Linguistic, Social
and Cross-Cultural Perspectives. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Co
Holscher, Louis. (1979). Publicity and Secrecy: A Conceptual-Historical
Study of the Genesis of the Public Sphere in the early Modern Period.
Stuttgart: Klett-Cotta.
Howard  Robert Glenn, "A Theory of Vernacular Rhetoric: The Case of the
'Sinner's Prayer' Online" (in Folklore, Volume 116, Number 2, August 2005:
175-191)

Howard  Robert Glenn,"Apocalypse in your In-Box: End-Times

Howard  Robert Glenn; "Toward a Theory of the Worldwide Web Vernacular: The
Case for Pet Cloning" (in Journal of Folklore Research, Volume 42, Number 3,
December 2005: 323-360)
Jones, S. 1997: “The Internet and its Social Landscape”. In Jones, S. G.
(ed.) Virtual Culture: Identity & Communication in Cybersociety. London:
Sage Publications, 7-35
Jones, S., (ed.) 1997: Virtual Culture: Identity & Communication in
Cybersociety. London: Sage Publications
Kibby, M. D. (2005). "Email forwardables: folklore in the age of the
internet." New media & society 7(6): 770-790.

Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Barbara.  1996.  "The Electronic Vernacular."
Connected:  Engagements with Media, Ed. George E. Marcus.  Chicago:
University of Chicago Press.  21-64.

Silver, D., 2000: “Introducing Cyberculture”,in Gauntlett, D. (ed.)
Web.studies: Rewiring Media Studies for the Digital Age, Oxford: Oxford
University Press, 2000, 19-30
Smith, M. and Kollock, P. (eds.) 1999: Communities in Cyberspace. London:
Routledge
Stone, A. R. 1991: “Will the Real Body Please Stand Up?: Boundary Stories
about Virtual Cultures. In Benedikt, M. (ed.) Cyberspace: First Steps.
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 81-118
Wellman, B. 1997: “An Electronic Group is virtually a Social Network”. In
Kiesler, S. (ed.) Culture of the Internet. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum
Associates, Publishers, 179-205
Wellman, B., Sallaf, J., Dimitrova, D., Garton, L., Gulia, M., and
Haythornthwaite, C. 1996: “Computer Networks as Social Networks:
Collaborative Work, Telework, and Virtual Community. Annual Review of
Sociology 22, 213-238
Wellman, Barry & Haythornthwaite, Caroline (2002) The Internet and Everyday
Life. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.