[Air-l] Web Science a Field of Study

Paul Jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Nov 6 18:03:28 PST 2006

just a little tale. we were working with TBL on a WAIS-WWW gateway in
1991. We had not met at the time but were working via email and ftp.

TBL wrote that he had submitted a paper to Hypertext 91 to be held in San
Antonio, TX late in the year. He'd drop by on his way.

Later he wrote that his paper had been rejected. His ideas about hypertext
weren't sophistocated enough for the reviewers.

They did offer him the chance to do a demo or a poster.

He came to the US and did drop by. I had, and still have a NeXT so we set
up the browser on my machine and a server on a Sun.

I called over to some local CS departments to invite them to drop by and
meet this interesting guy and his hypertext project.

They turned me down. One of them saying "A grad student could write that
server in a week. Our version of hypertext is much more robust. Our links
are bidirectional. Our servers keep state. Our hypertext language is
better developed. And we rejected his paper."

Tim's demo page that I copied is here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/old.page.html

None of the links work now.

                             Paul Jones
 "Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
  pjones at ibiblio.org   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071