[Air-l] new vs old activism

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 20 21:39:17 PST 2006

some thoughts rather than references

I might point out that computer security people in some cases think
Internet activism is criminal quoting the Seattle organizing.

Being an activist pre and post internet I would say something has
changed.

I suggest you look at general internet books concerning human rights
campaigns online as those seem to get the attention of internet
scholars as different.

I am concerned personally with expertise and the lending of computer
or IT expertise to grassroots organizing. Also how can community
groups use computers or non-profits when computer self help
literature like the dummies series sets a business model for applying
the computer too. Witness making a web page... you must be making a
web page to do business and attract an audience otherwise why make
one? Of course I disagree and would not like to see everything up for
sale. Nor would I like to see everything up for free.

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Fall 2006 Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.